Turmeric Chicken with Garlic and Broccoli
Serves 2. Takes about 30 minutes.
– 2 pieces of chicken breast filets, free range and organic, cut into strips or bite-size pieces.
– 1 small head of broccoli, woody stem cut off. Cut into florets.
– Pink Himalayan Salt (or natural Sea Salt).
– Freshly ground black pepper.
– 3 TBSP coconut oil.
– 1 TSP of ground turmeric (or 3 TSP of fresh turmeric, grated).
– 1 small onion, finely chopped.
– 2 TSP of fresh ginger, minced.
– 2 cloves of fresh garlic, minced.
– 1 TSP of curry powder.
– 1/4 TSP of ground cinnamon.
– 1 cup of brown/black rice, cooked according to instructions.
– 2 cups of chicken stock (cubes or homemade). Use the stock to cook the rice.
1. Season the chicken in a Ziplock bag with the salt, pepper, turmeric, curry powder, ginger, cinnamon. Remove as much air from the bag as possible and seal. Rubbing the bag, coat the chicken pieces thoroughly. Set aside. (If time permits, season for at least an hour or overnight)
3. Heat a large pan over medium heat. Add 1 TBSP of coconut oil.
4. Add the onion and garlic and fry for about a minute, till you start to smell the aromas.
5. Add the chicken pieces and cook through.
6. Add more coconut oil if w in the broccoli florets.
7. Once the broccoli is tender (not too tender!), add the cooked rice and stir through well.
8. Remove from heat. Drizzle 2 TBSP of coconut oil and stir through.
9. Serve onto plates.
Note: fresh or ground turmeric can be used for this recipe. Remember that turmeric in any form stains! So be wary of getting it on your clothes or dish cloths. The general rule of thumb when measuring powdered vs fresh spices is 1:3. So for every teaspoon of ground turmeric, use 3 TSP of grated turmeric. This works for all spices and herbs.
Read more about why turmeric is so incredible HERE.